Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sometimes you feel like a nut...

Well, life has been going on here more or less the same. It's still very hot, and it hasn't rained for a while, though I'm told there's a rainy season SOMETIME. I'm on my second week of teaching now. Mostly we sing simple songs (this week it's a song I learned at camp about pizza), play games using language, and do some activities. This week, in anticipation of Halloween, I'm telling my students the story of the ghost of Bloody Mary (who appears in the mirror if you call her name three times (in the dark)), and then they write their own ghost stories. I've learned a lot about Manadonese ghosts, some of which are pretty scary.

This Monday I got sick. I don't know if it was something I ate (the rolls I got across the street are the prime suspect; the rambutan seemed fine) or what, but I was pretty sick! And Tuesday I woke up with a fever, but it was an improvement from the night before, anyway. So I stayed home, and the Oma I live with came up to check on me and try to help me about FIFTY times, mostly because she's very forgetful. She told me that eating would make me healthier, and I wanted to say, "I don't think you understand the nature of my illness," but since she doesn't speak English I just ate a little rice. Later, some teachers from school came by and decided that I had gotten sick because I was so tired from doing my own laundry.

Anyway, I feel just fine now, better than fine, even, because my friends from Gorontalo are coming to visit me tonight! Alexa and Sarah, who live together in Limboto, actually, outside of Gorontalo, are driving up here for the weekend to celebrate my birthday, which is very exciting. Hopefully we'll go to Bunaken, and at the very least we're going to have waffles and hang out and have a grand old time.

I have quite a few pictures, but unfortunately I'm having some technical difficulties on that end, since I'm using a computer at school. So, next week, at least, I will sort it out and put up some pictures of my current life. Until then, here are a couple pictures I stole from other people. This is us at Tangkuban Prahu, one of the volcanoes around Bandung!



1 comment:

Rachel said...

Anna, you are amazing. I miss you something awful, and I hope you feel better. It is possible that you are getting sick from doing your own laundry however, because I believe that somewhere my grandparents lived (and it may have been indonesia), they had to hire someone to do their laundry because every item of clothing needed to be ironed to kill insects?bacteria?mold?fungus? something that grew on them when they were being washed. Just something to think about.