Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tectonic turbulence in Jakarta...

Well, maybe you'll see on the news when you wake up that there was an earthquake today in Jakarta, around 3pm. I'm fine; everything is fine. I was just sitting in my hotel room on the seventh floor, and I definitely felt it. The building was swaying enough to feel it, and there are plenty of cracks in the plaster, but nobody was injured around here and all the buildings are fine. We went outside and waited for a while while the hotel got checked out, and then we came back inside. It was definitely an interesting experience.

Meanwhile, orientation has been going well. A lot of people have come to talk to use about different opportunities for people that we'll be working with, and ways to get more involved in helping people improve their English. We've also been eating very well, since breakfast and lunch (and coffee breaks) are buffets at the hotel. Yesterday we went to the Fine Arts Museum and saw some pretty cool paintings.

So, anyway, I have now been through an earthquake. That's something I couldn't say before today.

1 comment:

Mer said...

Anna, if you get injured or otherwise damaged in any way, I will never forgive you.

Seriously, I'm glad that you're all right. Obviously you have to start controlling the weather better.